Monday, August 8, 2011

Pinterest Challenge: Week One Wrap Up

As I mentioned in my last post, for the month of August, I am going to tackle one pin from my Pinterest pinboards per day. The majority of the selected pins last week involved food (surprise, surprise), but my favorite project is the Birthday Sign that I made Thursday night. Here is a breakdown of what I was up to last week.

Monday, August 1

Peach Pie Smoothie

I am a very much a "use what you have" person. I'm not about to go to the grocery store when I have a close substitute. For this recipe I didn't have any non-fat yogurt so I just used 1 cup skim milk. It still turned out delicious. I know this was probably intended as a breakfast food, but I made it Monday night when I was craving something sweet. I'll definitely be making this again.

 Tasty AND Healthy


Tuesday, August 2

Pizza Rolls

I'm a HUGE fan of the microwavable pizza rolls, but I promise these are even better! The recipe calls for pizza dough, but I already had a roll of crescent rolls in the refrigerator so I used that. Oh also, I'm happy to report my basil has somehow survived this heat - so I decided to throw some in the rolls. These would make great tail-gating snacks!


Cheesy goodness
Wednesday, August 3

Banana "Ice Cream"

This recipe is like a science project. It is so bizarre to me that frozen bananas turn into a frozen yogurt consistency when blended in the food processor - but they totally do! I halved this recipe, and it was just enough for two people. Would I rather have Maggie Moo's Birthday Cake Ice Cream with Brownies and Sprinkles (my fav!) - OF COURSE, but this satisfied my sweet tooth without having to consume hundreds of calories. Also, considering Wednesday was the hottest day of the year, ice cream was required.


Love the peanut butter/banana combo

Thursday, August 4

Birthday Sign

I really liked how this project turned out, but let me warn you - it took me around 4 hours to finish it. I think a more artistically inclined person could have finished it faster, but I was moving pretty slowly. The link above gives a tutorial, but I'll go ahead and list out the supplies I used and how much they cost.

What You Need:

6x20 piece of plywood ($6) (I bought a 15/32x2x2 piece from Lowe's and had them cut it down for me.)
2 packages of 9mm Round Jump Rings ($3) (These are found in the jewlery making section of craft stores. You could also use Eyehooks.)
Scrapbook Lettering ($5)
Acrylic paint (leftovers from previous project)
Wooden circles, stars, or hearts (leftovers from previous project)
Paintbrushes (small and large)

Also, I would suggest using paint pens if you are going to freehand 'Birthdays'. Originally, I was going to use a stencil, but it looked way too small on the board. I tried a few other things, but I ended up using about 500 q-tips to write the word (Ha!). Resourceful, but a pain in the ass. Note to self: Buy smaller paintbrushes.


I used this in our laundry room. Maybe it will keep us straight this year!

Friday, August 5


Peanut Butter Apple Sandwich

The beginning of the month is always really hectic at work. I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the office during my lunch break. I loved this quick, healthy little lunch. (I didn't have any granola, but I did have raisins! They worked great.)

Lovely backdrop of my coffee and calculator aka my best friends.
Saturday, August 6

Sparkly, Pink Nails

Over the weekend, Brian and I went to my friend Haley's BEAUTIFUL wedding in our hometown. It was so nice to go home and catch up with old friends. It makes my heart happy. :) There was no time for cooking or crafting so I decided to rock these sparkly, pink nails inspired by a pin from my style pinboard.

I went with the all over sparkles. It hides the quick (and sloppy) paint job underneath!
Sunday, August 7

Natural Face Scrub

We got back to Alabama pretty late on Sunday night. It was a good time to try this homemade scrub. However, my skin is super oily. Like 14 year old, awkward teenager oily - so I just used this on my hands. It made them very soft.

Sugar, olive oil, and vanilla
I made it through week one! Whoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment