Friday, July 8, 2011

Cajun Chex Mix & Patriotic Cookies

As I said in my last post, we spent most of our weekend on the water. I wanted to bring some snack food for my family, but I didn't want to make anything that would take up precious cooler space or melt in the sun. Last week, I was still on vacation in my mind so I was not about to make anything from scratch. Really, all I did was pump up store bought ingredients. Quick, easy, and delicious - my kind of snacks!

Cajun Chex Mix

I used this recipe as a guide. But instead of buying the individual ingredients, I bought two bags of the packaged traditional chex mix and added a can of mixed nuts. Due to the quantity of mix, I used about 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 T. of Tabasco, and 2 T. of Tony's Creole Seasoning. This salty and spicy snack was a huge hit. I kind of wish I had some right now...


 Don't forget the butter! (I left it out in this picture for some reason.)

Patriotic Sugar Cookies

This fantastic post provided the inspiration. Maybe next time I will go the homemade route, but I did make them at home so technically they are homemade! :) I had so much fun making these cookies. It was like I was back in Kindergarten at the Play dough station.



Hank is a very serious chef.

So messy, but so worth it!
I'm pretty sure that I ate a tube of the dough before I could get them in the oven!

Let me warn you - if you are using store bought rolls of cookie dough, they spread! Check out the first batch. They might not be the prettiest things, but they still tasted great.


Patriotic cookies cookie cake

The next time around I made sure to make them smaller and leave plenty of growing room. These actually look like cookies..and I didn't have to cut them with a pizza cutter. Ha!

Much better...
Packed and ready to go!

1 comment: