Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Peach and Raspberry Delight

Last time we were in Arkansas, Brian's grandma gave us a ton of veggies along with a few, small peaches. I've never made anything with fresh peaches, but I knew I wanted to use one of my Grandma Diebold's recipes. Not only was my grandma an incredible person, she was also an amazing cook. So many of the memories I have of her involve being in the kitchen. I grew up watching her bring my family so much joy through her cooking, and I really think that is one of the reasons why I love to cook.

I chose this recipe because it's the perfect hot weather dessert. I like to pretend that the fresh peaches cancel out the pounds of butter and sugar I used to make this. There are many ways you can make this recipe lighter, but I am not about to alter an already perfect, grandma approved, family recipe.

Fresh, ripe peaches - yum!
I was having some trouble peeling the skin off of the peaches so I did a little research and learned a great trick. I followed this tutorial, and it made my life so much easier!
 
I only had about 2 cups of fresh peaches so I used one can of sliced peaches to fill in the gaps.

Raspberry Jello topping =  the perfect compliment to the peaches

You can use whatever jello/fruit combination you can dream up for this recipe.

You have to make this!
 Grandma Diebold's Peach (and Raspberry)* Delight

1st Layer
2 c. flour
2T. sugar (This doesn't seem like much, but the other two layers provide plenty of sweetness.)
2 stick butter - softened
1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (I used walnuts.)

Mix all ingredients, spread in 9 x 13 pan, bake @ 350 for 20 min.  Cool.

2nd Layer
1 c. sugar
1 (8 oz) cream cheese softened
1 carton (9 oz) whipped topping
3 cups fresh peaches sliced

Cream sugar and cream cheese. Fold in whipped topping. Spread mixture over crust. Top cream cheese mixture with peach slices.

3rd Layer
1 c. sugar
4 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. water
1 pkg. (3 oz) peach gelatin*

*I could not find peach gelatin anywhere!  Raspberry and peach is a delicious combination, and I think my grandma would totally approve!

Combine sugar and cornstarch, stir in water. Cook until thick. Stir in gelatin until thoroughly blended. Cool. Spread the glaze over peaches. Keep refrigerated.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment